Pages

Friday 3 October 2014

Make room for the new

I love watching the countryside change colour at this time of the year, seeing the lovely tones of red and copper and gold on the trees.  Of course, after that the trees look pretty dead as do all my beautiful roses and other herbaceous plants in my garden.  I have to wait for spring to see them all burst into life again with new growth, new flowers and a beauty which is new and wonderful every year.

This got me thinking how we also need to let the old things pass away or die in us to make room for new things to grow and blossom.  This could simply be an old routine or pastime which has to be given up to make time for something better.  It also applies to bad habits and bad traits in us which we want to get rid of - these need to go so we can grow into the people we want to be. As a Christian I believe that Jesus promises us new life when we surrender our own  lives to Him.   As I let my old things or bad side in me die, I allow room for my Lord and Saviour Jesus and all the good that He promises to grow in me.  Thank goodness for that!  Now I can  have more love, more patience, more peace, more joy, more good :)

Here is my journal page, inspired by autumn and all the thoughts above:


I did the leaves with texture paste first, then sponged Fresco Finish chalk acrylic paints all over the page. I stamped the script, then stamped the circles with acrylic which gives a lovely texture. 
The bigger circles were punched, spread with texture paste and then acrylic.  The little orange dots are a pebeo volume paint.

The tags had just one different leaf added with texture paste:

I journaled on the backs of the tags and stuck down with repositional glue dots so I can read what's on them at any time:


Sometimes its painful allowing old things to go, but its definitely worth it once the new has had time to be established.  

I'm linking up at:

15 comments:

  1. Wow Susan, a lot of textures and circles my two favourites, just love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, it goes without saying that I love, love, love this! The texture and colors are fabulous!!! I love the sentiments as well! I continually have to die DAILY that God can peek His goodness through! He has a hard time sometimes (I'm a little stubborn..ha ha ha) but He has a plan, even for me! Love this and thanks for sharing your creativity! Have a WONDERFUL weekend! Blesings! :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially enjoyed your thoughts on making room for the new. Your art journal is lovely! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous page, Susan! I love the crispness of your textured leaves and the way you applied colour over them. I love the changing of the seasons - it does make me feel melancholic sometimes, but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this phrase! Always good to remember it. This page is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you've used the two tags for the old and the new, Susan. So true that some things have to die to make room. None of us like change, but without it we don't grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...another amazing creation! Love all the texture and circles..and the message. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Both the colors and texture are awesome. As are the thoughts you shared. I learn so much from you both spiritually and artistically, Susan. I always come away from your blog feeling blessed and uplifted. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice!! love that green

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful page!!!! And very true words!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Autumn... never thought of it in this way. Interesting journaling idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this to Sunday Sentiments, Susan! A very uplifting sentiment, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much texture with those lovely leaves and bold circles. I like your tags and phrase too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love all the textures and like the idea of writing on the back of the tags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this post Susan! It has helped me to realise that I am clinging on to my " old life " before I moved back to UK. I'm not letting God in to make things new ! I can see what a great help art journaling can be , I really must give it a go! Your page is lovely ,such great colours and textures. Will catch up on the posts I have missed !

    ReplyDelete