Pages

Saturday 19 October 2013

Through the Veil

Following on from Longing for Longing......The more we know God, the more we love Him, worship Him and want to know Him more.  Tozer said that what keeps us from God is a veil over our hearts.  Just as in the old testament a veil separated the Holy of Holies where God dwelt where only the High Priest could go once a year, so our own hearts have a veil which prevent us from seeing God.  This veil is the self-life: our selfishness, self-centredness, self-righteousness, self-pity, self-love, self-sufficiency, etc. Tozer says the only way to tear down this veil is through the cross:

"Let us beware of tinkering with our inner life, hoping ourselves to rend the veil.  God must do everything for us.  Our part is to yeild and trust.  We must confess, forsake, repudiate the self-life, and then reckon it crucified." (The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer)

So it all comes down to surrender.  We surrender all of ourselves and our wills to God.  The song below by Nicole Brown sums it all up:

God of grace, God of mercy;
God of hope, God of truth.
You are my light and my salvation
Whom shall I fear?
I shall not be moved.

I bring my life, I bring my choices,
I  bring my mind, Lord I bring my heart.
Here I am, in full surrender
I give you all, take every part.

Here I come through the veil;
Here I stand, I seek your face,
Here I am, my life laid bare before You.
I'm lost without You.




No comments:

Post a Comment